Saturday, August 29, 2009

Todd Bertuzzi


Todd Bertuzzi . . . just the name alone brings a whole lot of emotions to the surface for a whole lot of people.

Everyone knows about the horrifying incident with Steve Moore, I'm sure. I'm not going to justify the man's actions, but I will say there was a few things that led up to that confrontation. The Code is a very important part of hockey, and people disagree all the time on whether this was just another example of The Code in effect. Do I think it was only Bertuzzi's idea to go after Moore? No. Do I think it was his intention to injure the man so badly that it ended Moore's career? No. Do I think Bertuzzi was just a victim of the circumstances? Partially.

We can all go back and say what if - what if Moore had turned to face him front on? It wasn't as if he didn't know the Canucks had sworn revenge on him. What if the momentum of Bertuzzi's punch hadn't had him falling on the guy and driving his head in to the ice? What if Moore had gotten up and walked away from it all? All that said, none of those 'what if's' are what actually happened.

What really happened is that a rising star had his career prematurely ended. Moore has been able to resume skating, but he still suffers from concussion-like symptoms.

Todd Bertuzzi did not get off easy after this incident. Not only was Bertuzzi suspended, he was charged in a court of law with assault causing bodily harm, he forfeited some of his salary, lost endorsements, and is being sued by Moore and Moore's parents in a civil suit.

Bertuzzi has to live with knowing what he did (intentional or not) every day of his life. I'm certain he hasn't forgotten what has happened, nor have the fans.

Do I think Bertuzzi should never be allowed to play another game in the NHL? No - what happened was unfortunate, but I'm 100% certain what happened wasn't intentional. He didn't go out there with the mindset of hurting Moore so much that he would be forced to retire from the sport. And when someone plays a professional sport, they know there is a risk of injury--serious or not--and they assume the risk.

This might make me sound like a cold-hearted bitch, but I'm not really. I feel horrible for Steve Moore, but I also feel horrible for what Bertuzzi has had to endure as well because of an unintentional result of a fight, something that happens all the time in the NHL.

I, for one, will welcome him to the Red Wings. If his experience can help the Red Wings win, who am I to challenge that?

No comments:

Post a Comment